It’s Friday, and you deserve a little something special for making it through the week. Here it is. Made with Hawk Owl Amber Ale from Right Brain Brewery in Traverse City, this Northern Michigan recipe for beer pizza dough is from Siren Hall Chef, Michael Peterson. The recipe was originally published in the January 2015 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine.
- 3 cups tepid water
- 1 ounce yeast
- 1/2 ounce honey
- 1/2 ounce blended oil
- 4 pounds, 6 ounces high-gluten flour
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 cups Hawk Owl amber ale
Toppings: for one pizza
- 3 ounces béchamel
- 4 ounces mozzarella
- 1 large Yukon potato sliced thin
- 3 ounces Tasso (spicy cured ham) sliced thin
- 2 or 3 shallots (sliced thin, sautéed till caramelized; deglaze with amber ale)
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 cup arugula; toss with salt and pepper and olive oil
- 2 teaspoons amber malt (found in beer supply store)
Combine water, yeast, honey and oil in mixer, and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. In a large bowl combine flour, salt, garlic and onion. Start mixer on low speed. Add flour mix in two batches. In the second batch add the beer. Continue to mix till dough is smooth. Remove from mixer. Knead lightly and portion into 9-ounce balls. Place in oiled container, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Bring dough to room temp. Stretch out till thin. Spread béchamel over entire pizza and add mozzarella. Then add Tasso, shallots, potato and goat cheese. Bake till golden and crispy. Take out of oven and drizzle with amber malt. Cut pizza. Place on plate and sprinkle with the arugula.
Find more Friday-night recipes like beer pizza dough in MyNorth’s recipe directory.
#2016 #Grand_Traverse #Traverse_City #Food_&_Drink #Beer #Recipes