Northern Michigan is home to a growing local food movement, endless orchards of cherries and apples, award-winning restaurants, artisan bakeries, and celebrity chef Mario Batali. Put simply, Northerners know good food.
Whether you’re in bustling downtown Traverse City or exploring historic Fishtown in Leland, a mouthwatering food find is right around the corner. We asked staff members of MyNorth Media to share some of the tastiest and most adventurous grub they’ve ever eaten in Northern Michigan. From the classics to the crazy, here are 20 scrumptious ideas you may want to add to your food bucket list.
We want to know what your favorite Northern Michigan food is, too. Email [email protected], and your recommendations may be featured in “Northern Michigan Food Bucket List: Part 2,” which comes out in December.
- Luccio Bella Vita (Mozzarella Crusted Walleye), Bella Vita, Boyne City
- Pastrami Sandwich, Frenchies Famous, Traverse City
- Cherry Pie, The Cherry Hut, Beulah
- Plevalean Cherry Burger, Pleva’s Butcher Shop, Cedar
- Flash Fried Street Beets, Harvest, Traverse City
- North Shore Sandwich, Village Cheese Shanty, Leland
- Fresh picked blueberries, Buchan’s Blueberry Hill, Traverse City
- Sourdough Bread, 9 Bean Rows, Suttons Bay
- Pumpkin Doughnuts, Gallagher’s Farm Market and Bakery, Traverse City
- Maple Syrup, Maple Moon Sugarbush and Winery, Petoskey
- Morel Mushroom Ice Cream, That French Place, Charlevoix
- An Antique Apple, Kilcherman’s Christmas Cove Farm, Northport
- Venison Pot Pie, Michigan Venison, Traverse City
- Steak and Rutabaga Pastie, Jean Kay’s Pasties and Subs, Marquette
- Homemade Rhubarb Custard Pie, Recipe by Meaghan Alvarado (here’s the recipe)
- Smoked Kielbasa, Legs Inn, Cross Village
- Planked Michigan Whitefish, Cawthorne’s Village Inn, Mackinac Island
- Beef Taco, Cedar Sol Taco Stand, Cedar
- Cajun Mac N’ Cheese, The Towne Plaza, Traverse City
- Duck Burger, Earth Wind & Fryer, Northport