MyNorth News Service
(Press Release provided by CCCC)
TRAVERSE CITY: The Cherry Capital Cycling Club will be conducting the second annual Bicycle Safety Rodeo on Saturday May 16, 2015. A major part of the mission for the bike club is to promote bicycling safety practices, especially for elementary age children. The program is designed for 2nd through 6th graders and their parents and will take place at the Traverse City Central High School Parking Lot. The focus will be to teach all participants the “rules of the road” for safe cycling and to promote cycling as a healthy lifetime transportation alternative.
Each participant should arrive with their bicycle and helmet and will enter a skills program consisting of eight (8) stations to develop safety practices and awareness. The Bicycle Safety Rodeo is an all- volunteer effort and “open-house” event where children and parents can arrive any time between 10:30 am and 3:00 pm to work through the stations and course. Several key facets of the program are as follows:
- Helmets will be inspected for quality and proper fit and will be replaced, if necessary.
- Bikes will be inspected and minor repairs will be made by Don Cunkle of Recycle a Bicycle and local bike shop technicians. Major repairs needed will be listed for parents.
- The Traverse City Fire Department will be teaching basic first aid skills
- Norte Youth Cycling will be monitoring progress through each of the eight skill stations.
- Each child will receive a swag bag with front and rear bike lights, a bell and safety literature.
- Moomers Ice Cream will be available free to all children.
- Don Cunkle of Recycle a Bicycle will teach minor bike maintenance and repairs.
- TCFF Association Local 646 will have its antique fire engine onsite.
- TC Police Department will be teaching bike safety and rules of the road as well as conducting county bike registrations.
- There will be a free bike raffle for all participants for both a girl’s bike and a boy’s bike.
Mike Dettmer, Bike Rodeo Chairman, stated that, “The Northern Michigan Bike Rodeo is a community outreach of the Cherry Capital Cycling Club. We hope to expose as many elementary students and their parents to bicycle safety practices as we can in one day.”