The shoreline route, historic M119—commonly called the Tunnel of Trees—is an attraction in its own right as it hugs the Lake Michigan shoreline under a canopy of trees, with occasional panoramic views of the water. Here are the best things to do and Tunnel of Trees lodging options for your next family vacation.
Worthy M119 Waypoints
Thorne Swift Nature Preserve
- Find short hikes and a beautiful beach. A few miles north of Harbor Springs along M119. landtrust.org
Pond Hill Farm
- Where squash rockets and hayrides are famous with kids, and house-made wines and a tasting room are famous with the adults. Fresh organic produce and lunch. Five miles north of Harbor Springs. 231.526.3276, pondhill.com.
Midway between Harbor Springs and Cross Village on M119 is the microscopic stretch of “downtown” Good Hart.
- Visit the Good Hart General Store, and pick up a famous chicken potpie (frozen, to bake later in your oven). 231.526.7661, goodhartstore.com.
- Next door, find Primitive Images and the Good Hart & Soul Tea Room; 231.526.0276, primitiveimages.com.
- An unexpected treat in Good Hart is authentic French crêpes, made-to-order by a very pleasant crêpe-maker at Northern Crepes.
- There is some enjoyable antiquing to be done along M119, including at Trillium Woods Antiques, two miles south of Good Hart on M119, 231.526.6569.
Three Pines Studio
- A high-quality gallery of Michigan fine arts and crafts. 5959 Levering Road, 231.526.9447, threepinesstudio.com.
- Across the street find excellent hard ice cream, sandwiches and provisions at Cross Village General Store, 231.526.5226.
Legs Inn, 231.526.2281, legsinn.com.
Head east on Levering Road to US31 south to Pellston (about 17 miles), where you’ll find a gourmet dinner and wine bar at Nancy Kelly’s, and arguably the best fried chicken in Northern Michigan at the old-school Dam Site Inn.
Tunnel of Trees Lodging
- The Perry Hotel, 100 Lewis Street, Petoskey, 800.737.1899, staffords.com/perryhotel
- Stafford’s Bay View Inn, 2011 Woodland Avenue, Petoskey, 800.258.1886, staffords.com/bayview
- The Inn at Bay Harbor, 3600 Village Harbor Drive, Bay Harbor, 800.627.7468, innatbayharbor.com
- Boyne Highlands, 600 Boyne Highlands Drive, Harbor Springs, 231.526.3000; boyne.com/boynehighlands
- Colonial Inn, May–October, 210 Artesian Avenue, Harbor Springs, 231.526.2111, harborsprings.com
- Grand Hotel, May–October, 286 Grand Avenue, Mackinac Island, 906.847.3331, grandhotel.com
This article was featured in the September 2014 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine.