The 2014 Traverse City Film Festival will once again feature the Kids Fest, so Northern Michigan kids can enjoy the festival, too! After last year’s fun, the Kids Fest will return to Lars Hockstad from July 30th through August 2nd. Pack up the sunscreen and head out to downtown Traverse City for this great Northern Michigan event. There will be plenty of film screenings, music, crafts and more that will have the kids smiling from ear to ear.
Films at the 2014 Traverse City Film Festival Kids Fest
Shorts for Kids — Wednesday, July 30th 9:30 am Lars Hockstad; 67 minutes; Recommended ages: 3 – 6
This delightful collection of shorts for our youngest filmgoers features trampoline-hopping foxes, a bear whose hat goes missing, and a dear who shares a fantastic scientific discovery with is rabbit friend.
- Blue USA | 2012 | 8 min.
- Exercise UK | 2013 | 2 min.
- I Want My Hat Back USA | 2013 | 9 min.
- Kalle Kran Sweden | 2014 | 6 min.
- Maple Syrup Canada | 2013 | 2 min.
- Rabbit and Deer Hungary | 2013 | 16 min.
- Sleight of Hand Australia | 2012 | 10 min.
- Snowflake Russia | 2012 | 6 min.
- Wonder France, Japan | 2014 | 8 min.
Pim and Pom: The Big Adventure (Pim & Pom: Het Grote Avontuur) Thursday, 31st 9:30 am Lars Hockstad; 2014 | Netherlands | NR | 70 min.; Recommended ages: 3 – 6
Coming to us from the Netherlands is the delightful story of two mischief-making cats—the adventurous and impetuous Pim and the more cautious and calm Pom—embarking on a very big adventure indeed. A picnic goes awry when a devilish pair of scheming twins separate them from their beloved caretaker “Lady.” Escaping from the girls’ clutches, Pim and Pom have to travel far and wide in order to return home. Encountering a group of streetwise alley cats, a diverting circus, and a deliciously tempting ice cream cart and fish market along the way, their friendship is tested while a delectable bowl of milk awaits their successful return.
Shorts for Kids — Friday, August 1st 9:30 Lars Hockstad; 71 min; Recommended ages 4 – 7
We saw so many great kids shorts this year that we couldn’t fit them all in one program! Program 2 includes the story of three girls who start a skateboarding posse, and a man who takes a trip around the world in his dream.
- Ahco On The Road South Korea, USA | 2013 | 9 min.
- Cycloid Japan | 2013 | 4 min.
- Gnarly in Pink USA | 2013 | 5 min.
- The King of the Birds France | 2013 | 5 min.
- Mia Belgium, Netherlands | 2013 | 10 min.
- My Mom is and Airplane RUSSIA/USA | 2013 | 7 min.
- The Numberlys USA | 2013 | 12 min.
- Papa Cloudy’s Restaurant USA | 2014 | 6 min.
- Super Secret USA | 2013 | 3 min.
- Swan Cake USA | 2013 | 6 min.
Thunder and the House of Magic — Saturday, August 2nd 9:30 am Larks Hockstad; 2013 | France | NR | 82 min; Recommended ages: 5 – 8
Intrigue, imagination, laughter, and eye-poppingly vivid animation make this charming tale of an adorable abandoned cat a magical journey of discovery. In a strangely fascinating house filled with playful automatons and gizmos, where surprises lurk around every corner, Thunder the cat easily wins the affection of “The Illustrious Lorenzo,” but has a much more difficult time winning over the other household animals. But after an accident sends Lorenzo to the hospital, the magician’s troupe of animal buddies and enchanted creations must band together to save the mansion from a scheming nephew. This stupendous, special world lovingly crafted by directors Ben Strassen and Jérémie Degruson overflows with such heartfelt emotion, we decided it’s the perfect kickoff to a fabulous day at Kids Fest!
Lawn Activities for the Kids
Head to the lawn after the show for lots of fun activities:
- Craft Services: Create props and learn the secrets of set design in the arts and crafts tent.
- Backlot: Each day we’ll offer a special activity good for all ages in our backlot tent.
- On Location: So much to do on the lawn — crawl through the house of magic, yoga, bubbles, face paiting, balloons, caricatures, tiny tot play area, healthy food in the commissary, giant chess, misting tent and dress up.
- Star Trailer: Be the star of your own FlipBook with green screen interactive fun.
- Sound Stage: Music, drama, storytelling, magic, science, and more.