From lectures and symposiums to juried art competitions, Northern Michigan art events are informative, interactive and—most importantly—fun. Here are a handful of arts events happening in the month of June:
Traverse City Wine & Art Festival in Traverse City
- The 2014 Traverse City Wine & Art Festival is an annual celebration of regional wine, food and culture of Northern Michigan. Musical performances by Mayer Hawthorne and several Northern Michigan favorites provide a musical background to a juried art show. Event occurs Saturday, June 21st.
Tickets are available at MyNorthTickets.com:
Exhibits at Three Pines Studio in Cross Village
- Gorgeous Nothings — works inspired by Emily Dickinson’s Envelope Poems from June 1–16
- Black and White: Photographs & Drawings — works by Bill Schwab and Ken Kewley from June 20–July 1
- Clay and Glass: From the Earth to the Garden — works by Lynn Dinning and Gene Reck from June 28–July 26
Gallery open daily, 11 am to 5 pm. Call 231.526.9447 or visit ThreePinesStudio.com.
Events at Old Art Building in Leland
- Watercolor Workshop with Susan Lingg, $45, June 4, 1–4pm
- Leelanau Artists Group Annual Exhibit, June 6–8 (Opening Reception, June 6, 5-7:30pm)
- Artscape: An Evening of Art & Wine, $20, June 13, 5-8pm
- Floral Design with Christina Pfeufer, June 16, 10am-noon
- Artist in Residence: Richard Kooyman Exhibit, Reception, Lecture, Workshop, June 27-30
- Leelanau Summinars Kick-Off Reception, June 30, 5-6pm
Call 231.256.2131 or visit OldArtBuilding.com for more information.
Tickets available at MyNorthTickets.com
Events at Crooked Tree Arts Center in Petoskey
- Annual Paint Out, June 6, 8am-8pm
- Coffee @ Ten with Lois Teicher, June 6, 10am
- Coffee @ Ten with Jenny Risher, June 7, 10am
- Lecture with Cary Loren, June 7, 2pm
- CTAC After Dark: Bourbons, Brews & Burgers, June 7, 9-11pm
- Exhibit: The City of Detroit June 7-Sept. 6 .
- Coffee @ Ten with DC3 & Hatch, June 17, 10am.
Call 231.347.4337 or visit CrookedTree.org for more information.
4th Annual Art at Rest Auction in Ludington
- Over 30 hand-decorated pieces, including Adirondack chairs and various children’s items such as picnic tables, step stools and rocking horses up for auction on June 22nd at Ludington’s Lincoln Hills Golf Club. There is also a variety of silent auction items available. 12:30pm, $25 person, includes a bidding number, hors d’oeuvres and a raffle ticket to win one of the hand-painted Adirondack chairs. Tickets available online. Proceeds support Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital.
Call 231.239.0562 or visit SpectrumHealth.org to purchase tickets.