Summer fun in Northern Michigan has begun! Here are 4 kids activities in Northern Michigan that’ll get the family either into Northern Michigan’s outdoors to enjoy all the fishing and exploring a young heart can handle or into a theater for a Northern Michigan stage production based on a film favorite.
Kids Fishing Day — Manistee, June 18th
- No entry fee or forms needed. Open to all kids 12 years of age and younger. All kids must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Kids are encouraged to use life preservers. Provided at event site: Free worms and a limited amount of fishing rods for loan. A free tournament T-shirt for all kids who participate. 3 divisions: age 7 and under, ages 8-10 and ages 11-12. Five prizes are awarded in each division based on the biggest fish caught. 9am, Man Made Lake, Manistee. 231.887.4474, mcsfa.org.
Shreck The Musical — Manistee, June 27-29, July 3, 5-6
- Based on the Oscar-winning DreamWorks film that started it all, the hilarious story of everyone’s favorite ogre is brought to dazzling new life on the stage. Fri. & Sat. 7:30pm, Sun. at 2 pm. $20 General admission. Tickets available at MyNorthTickets.com. Ramsdell Theatre, Manistee. 231.723.9948, ManisteeCivicPlayers.org.
Nightcrawler Hunt & Take a Kid Fishing — Frankfort, June 27, 28
- On the 27th: Nightcrawler Hunt, 10pm. Bring a container and a flashlight—catch your own bait for the next day. On June 28th: Take a Kid Fishing—free fishing, free T-shirt, free lunch and fishing rods and gear (for children who don’t have their own). 8-11 am, Open Space Park. Frankfort, 231.352.7251, Frankfort-Elberta.com.
Grass River Natural Area Events — Bellaire, June 7, 12, 14, 18, 19, 21, 28
- June 7th: Grass River at Night Hike, 9pm.
- June 12th: Art on Thursday: Fun with Clay, 1pm.
- June 14th: Bird Blitz Walk, 6:30 am.
- June 18th: Kayak Adventure, 1pm.
- June 19th: Art on Thursday: Nature Print T-Shirts, 10am.
- June 21st: Solstice Pontoon Cruise, 6pm. June 28 Michigan Coffee & Michigan Trivia, 10am.
- June 28th: Benefit Concert and Dance featuring Steppin’ In It, 6pm.
The Grass River Natural Area is located near Bellaire. Call 231.533.8314 or visit GrassRiver.org for more information.
Events at Raven Hill Discovery Center — East Jordan, June 14, 21, 26-27
- June 14th: Free Families Reaching for Educational Excellence 2nd Saturday Series.
- June 21st: Summer Solstice Celebration, 7-9 pm.
- June 26th: Astronomy Club meets. Open to everyone, 8:30 pm.
- June 26th-27th: Watercolor Workshop, 10am-3pm.
Raven Hill Discovery Center is located near East Jordan. Call 231.536.3369 or visit RavenHillDiscoveryCenter.org for more information.