Like the bear who awakens from a winter’s hibernation, it’s time to recharge for an active spring and summer by chowing down at some Northern Michigan events featuring the area’s finest food. Here’s a mouthful cooking classes, wine tastings in Leelanau County, and other food events in Northern Michigan to get your motor running. The following content was first featured in the 2014 May issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine.
Cooking Class at Chateau Chantal — Sat, May 3rd
- Learn classic French culinary staples that are wine pairing gems with Chef Anthony Sgrecci, 12:30-4:30pm, Chateau Chantal Winery. $95 person, includes the enjoyment of your preparations paired with wines during class. Bring an apron and a favorite knife. Traverse City, 231.223.4110, Store.ChateauChantal.com.
Leelanau Peninsula Vintners (LPVA) Events — Sat. May 3rd-4th, and Fri. the 30th
- Spring Sip & Savor wine trail event includes 22 participating wineries; on Saturday the 3rd from 11am-6pm and Sunday the 4th from noon-5pm. Tickets available through MyNorthTickets.com:
- On Saturday, May 30th: May Small Plates. Enjoy a full glass of wine paired with a tapas dish in the tasting rooms or vineyards of participating wineries. Three seatings: 6pm, 7pm and 8pm, $15 per seating. 231.271.7100, LPWines.com.
Harvest Dinner Series at Black Star Farms: Morels in May — Wednesday, May 14th
- Executive Chef Jonathan Dayton and Event Coordinator Stephanie Wiitala invite you to morel mushroom hunting followed by five morel-themed courses. Tickets for the 5-course wine paired dinners are $100, all inclusive of tax and gratuity. Suttons Bay, 231.944.1251, BlackStarFarms.com. Sorry folks, this event is sold out, but tickets to future Harvest Dinners are available at MyNorthTicket.com:
Gill’s Pier 10th Anniversary — Saturday, May 24th
Mini Golf Grand Opening BBQ — Saturday, May 24th
- Jaycees Mini Golf Grand Opening BBQ and Kids Bike Safety Course, noon-6pm. Ludington, 517.902.9525, LudingtonAreaJaycees.org.