The air temperature may be hovering in the teens this week, but we are on fire—romantically speaking. This Valentine’s Day Michigan is the Most Romantic State in America. At least according to the singles dating site PlentyOfFish that set PhD researchers to the task of analyzing the profiles of 5 million singles for romantic phrases. Turns out that by that measure, Michigan singles are 55 percent more romantic than the national average. And Michigan single men are a whopping 74 percent more romantic than the national average. (Which perhaps begs the question, what is Pfizer up to in Kalamazoo anyway?)
These were the words the researches used to evaluate our heat index. (PlentyOfFish neglected to say how much Pepto-Bismol the researchers guzzled to get through their data!)
- Holding hands
- Summer sunsets
- Cuddling by the fire
- Walks on the beach
- Candlelit dinners
- Star gazing/Starry Nights
- Sunday morning coffee
- Bubble baths
- Hot chocolate in winter
- Romantic massages
But hey! If those words warm up Valentine’s Day, more power to them. Here are more stats on how singles across the country hold up romantically.
- Single Men in New York are 12 percent more romantic than the national average.
- Washington DC is the least romantic state for single women.
- Michigan women are 38 percent less romantic than the national average. (Girlfriends! What is up!?)
- Louisiana is the least romantic state. Singles in Louisiana are 25% less romantic than the national average.
- Single Women in Vermont are 45 percent more romantic than the national average.
- Single Men of California are 22 percent more romantic than the national average.