Northern Michigan Events: Explore Michigan Legacy Art Park this winter in Thompsonville, Michigan. Strap on your snowshoes for guided tours on Sunday afternoons or pack your camera for the black and white photography workshop on February 2. If you’ve hiked the Art Park in the summer, discovering the sculpture in a winter wonderland is a completely different experience.
Winter Snowshoe Tours
Sundays at 2:30 p.m—January 6, 13, 20 and 27, February 3 & 10
A guide will lead snowshoers on a 1.6-mile hike across hilly terrain to view 45 major works of art. The tour on January 20 will be part of the many World Snow Day activities scheduled throughout Crystal Mountain that day.
The tours begin at the Art Park trailhead and last just just over one hour. The fee for the tour is $10 per adult and free for youth 17 and under with a paying adult. All fees collected directly benefit Michigan Legacy Art Park, a non-profit organization.
Camera, Sculpture and Snowshoes!
Saturday, February 2, 2013 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Share your winter story with easy-to-use black & white photo composition tips and camera tricks. Photographer Chris Bickes will lead this fun workshop. He will answer your photography questions, teach you new photography tricks and give you the chance to practice in the winter landscape of Michigan Legacy Art Park.
- About the instructor: Chris Bickes studied with Ansel Adams and is a former instructor at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite.
- Focus: Winter photo composition in black & white. Emphasis on lighting and contrast techniques. Includes workshop and Michigan Legacy Art Park sculpture walk.
- Level: Beginners to intermediate; smart phone, point and shoot or digital SLR cameras.
- Location: Workshop will begin indoors at the Crystal Center at Crystal Mountain and will finish at Michigan Legacy Art Park with a snowshoe hike.
- Fee: $85. Includes tour, workshop, "tips" guide and a camera tune-up.
- Reservations required by January 30. Call (231) 378-4963.
Black and white photography workshop participants also receive a 10% discount on Crystal Mountain lodging. Call (231) 378-2000 to make your lodging reservation. A Crystal Spa coupon will also be a perk for participants!
For both events, guests must bring their own snowshoes. Snowshoe rentals are available at Crystal Mountain at the Park at Water’s Edge. Call 231-378-2000 ext. 7000 for rental information.
Call (231) 378-4963 or visit michlegacyartpark.org for further information.