When MyNorth challenged Grand Traverse Resort’s Executive Chef Joseph George to our local foods showdown he accepted with gusto and prepared a delicious take on bacon and eggs—Bacon and Eggs with Crispy Fingerling Potato Pancake, Smoked Steelhead Roe, Bourbon Infused Maple Syrup. In accordance with the rules of the showdown, 90 percent of the ingredients for this dish are from Northern Michigan and another 5 percent are from Michigan, making it a 95 percent made-in-Michigan dish.
Watch the video to learn Chef George’s technique. Then click for the recipe: Bacon and Eggs with Crispy Fingerling Potato Pancake, Smoked Steelhead Roe, Bourbon Infused Maple Syrup.
Here is a list of the local ingredients George used in the dish:
- Fingerling potatoes, celery micro greens: Werp Farms, Karlin
- Wild leeks, locally foraged
- Smoked steelhead roe, Bourbon infused maple syrup, aged sherry vinegar, Blis, Grand Rapids, blisgourmet.com
- Egg, Bakers Green Acres, Marion
- Pancetta- Made at Grand Traverse Resort with Michigan Pork Belly, grandtraverseresort.com
More Chef Showdown: Local Foods Videos
- Watch Executive Chef Darren Hawley of Crystal Mountain Resort prepare Smoked Pheasant with Morel Galantine.
- Watch Martha Ryan, of Martha’s Leelanau Table Prepare Leelanau Raclette Fondue with over 90% local foods from Northern Michigan. And then get the recipe.
- Watch Eric Nittolo of the Boathouse Restaurant prepare Rack of Lamb with Parsnip Puree.
- Watch Sam Hybel of Gusto in Suttons Bay prepare asparagus with white wine sauce.
- Watch Chef John Piombo of Nonna’s at The Homestead in Glen Arbor prepare Goat Cheese and Kale Spelt Ravioli with Roasted Rabbit, Asparagus and Cream
- Watch Randy Chamberlain of Blu in Glen Arbor prepare malted cherry ice cream.