When MyNorth.com challenged Sam Hybel, Chef/Owner at Gusto in Suttons Bay to our local foods showdown he accepted with gusto and prepared Sauteed Morels and Grilled Michigan Asparagus in a White Wine Sauce for a MyNorth.com video. In accordance with the rules of the showdown, 90 percent of the ingredients for this dish are from Northern Michigan and another 5 percent are from Michigan, making it a 95 percent made-in-Michigan dish.
Watch the video to learn Chef Hybel’s technique. Then click to find the recipe for Sauteed Morels and Grilled Michigan Asparagus in a White Wine Sauce.
Here is a list of the local ingredients Hybel used in the dish:
- Morels foraged locally
- Asparagus, Norconk Farms, Empire
- White wine, Blackstar Farms, Suttons Bay, 231-941-1270, blackstarfarms.com
- Butter, Halpin’s Land of Goshen at Douglas Valley, Manistee, 231-360-7176
- Stone House baguette, Traverse City, 231-933-8864, stonehousebread.com
More Chef Showdown: Local Foods Videos
- Watch Martha Ryan, of Martha’s Leelanau Table prepare Leelanau raclette fondue
- Watch Chef John Piombo of Nonna’s at The Homestead in Glen Arbor prepare goat cheese and kale spelt ravioli with roasted rabbit, aspargus and cream
- Watch Randy Chamberlain of Blu in Glen Arbor prepare malted cherry ice cream
- Watch Joseph George of Grand Traverse Resort prepare bacon and eggs with smoked steelhead roe
- Watch Darren Hawley of Crystal Mountain Resort prepare smoked pheasant