Help raise the next generation of National Parks lovers by encouraging your wee ones to become Junior Rangers at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. This is a fabulous way to get kids outside with Junior Ranger workbooks in hand, learning about the park’s wildlife, resources and history. On April 24, the real rangers at Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore are holding a special event to celebrate National Junior Ranger Day, aimed at welcoming more young park aficionados into the fold.
Plans for the day include an adventure hike and completing activities in the free Junior Ranger books available at the visitor center in Empire. Kids will receive a certificate and will have their name posted on the Sleeping Bear website when they finish the book. And you can honor your little one’s completion of the program with a cool patch or badge signifying their Junior Ranger status. National Parks across the country have this program, so it just might spark a collection of nature-based fun.
Can’t make it on April 24th? Your child can become a Junior Ranger any day of the year. While visiting the park, stop by the Visitor Center in Empire, the Dune Center Bookstore at the Dune Climb, or the Glen Haven General Store to get your copy of the Junior Ranger Workbook. The cost is only $1.95 + tax! Complete the challenges in the workbook which include visiting spots throughout the park answering questions about flora, fauna and history. Then, return to the Visitor Center so a Ranger can check your child’s workbook.
If the work is good (and correct), your son or daughter will receive a Junior Ranger Patch to proudly display. In addition, he/she will receive a certificate signed by the ranger and his/her name will be added to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore’s website list. Best of all, your son or daughter will have gained valuable knowledge in the stewardship of our National Parks and that’s what we all really want!
For more information, 231-326-5134; nps.gov/slbe
More Ideas for Kids Up North
- Kids Up North: Give them the Earth for 25 cents at the State Theatre in Traverse City
- Kids Up North Video: Harvesting Wild Leeks and Making Potato Leek Soup
- Kids Up North: Grow a Pizza
- Kids Up North: Book A Mini Cruise on the SS Badger and Kids Sail Free
Lots More About the Sleeping Bear Dunes
- 10 Insider Picks for the Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Video: Don’t Miss Sleeping Bear Dunes’ Pierce Stocking Drive
- Otter Creek Hike in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- Secret Sleeping Bear: Hike Alligator Hill
- Video: Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Snowy Get-Away at Sleeping Bear
- Manitou’s Magic
- Good Harbor Beach Day