Whether you’re hitting the Northern Michigan ski resorts with two skis or one board, you’ll look and perform great with these hats, jackets, goggles and gear.
Dress Like A Skier
This season, longer jackets in vibrant colors, patterned shirts and solid pants express the free-ride look, as clothing manufacturers are now designing apparel that can be worn by both the skier and snowboarder. Our model (and Traverse graphic designer Eleanor Krautmann) went shopping—here’s the ski outfit she pulled together.
Orage in Heather, $35
Anon Realm Smile in Purple, $120
Orage Lilia, $60
Roxy, with binding, $429
R.E.D. in White, $100
Orage Betty, $250
Lole in White, $200
Salomon Charm 7 in White Pearl, $299
Dress Like a Boarder
The 2009/2010 snowboard season is all about layers and loud colors. Designers are also moving toward stylish, fashion-influenced cuts. Bright pants, plaid shirts and layering vests show versatility that’s fun and wearable. We turned our other model, Traverse editorial intern Renee Rudzewizc, loose in racks of boarder-wear. Here’s what she picked out.
Coal The Rosalita flap beanie in Violet, $35
Smith Phenom, $130
Burton Profile, $44
Burton, without binding, $469.95
R.E.D. in Aqua, $100
Burton Style Puffy Vest in Red, $99
Volcom Stones Throw Hydro Zip Fleece, $58
Volcom Carbon Pant, $100
Snow Snowboard Boots
Burton Mint in Pink, Brown and White, $139
Gear and clothes courtesy of Boyne Country Sports 101 E. Front St., Traverse City 231-941-1999 boynecountrysports.com.
Buy the Northern Michigan Ski Guide Issue Now!
More About Hitting the Slopes and Trails
- The Michigan Ski Guide: Lower and Upper Peninsula
- Great Places to Learn to Ski—At Any Age
- Three Ski Towns to Explore
- Ski Town Take-Out
- Hot Apres Ski Towns
- Video: Terrain Park at Crystal Mountain
- Ski Guide: Swank or Spare?
- Post Slope Spa Treatments
- Where to Get Your Skiis Tuned
- Our Favorite Ski Slopes Names
- Master the U.P. Backcountry on Skiis
- Money Saving Tips for the Ski Season
- Interview with Slopeside Bartender
- Air Born: Ski Jumping in the U.P.
- Mackinac Island Ski Getaway
- The Ultimate Guide to Winter