Folk audiences hungry for something outside the crowded ‘guy and his guitar’ genre should head to the City Opera House this Saturday, November 7, where singer-songwriter Sean Hayes will give Traverse City a glimpse of the innovative West Coast folk scene.
Hayes’s music, which is often compared to Devendra Banhart and Vetiver, is both sparse and well orchestrated, blending timeless, dusty vocals with instrumentation that includes banjo, woodwinds, horn and accordion.
Hayes is a mainstay in the San Francisco folk scene, but was born in New York City and raised in North Carolina, where he’s said to have acquired the old-timey sensibilities that he’s known for. He has self-released five albums, but it was his 2007 release "Flowering Spade" that earned him national attention and play on NPR’s All Things Considered.
Michigan’s own Breathe Owl Breathe will open for Hayes’s Opera House show, proving the folk renaissance isn’t only a West Coast product. The Ann Arbor–based trio comprised of guitarist Micah Middaugh, cellist Andréa Moreno-Beals and percussionist Trevor Hobbs, has won a following in Michigan for its enchanting, experimental brand of folk.
General admission for the 7 p.m. show is $20. For tickets call 231-941-8082 or go to cityoperahouse.org.
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Video: Friday Night Live Has TC’s Front Street Hopping
- Get your copy of 101 Ways to Love Traverse City
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Beaches near Traverse City