Shawn Colvin, one of the women at the forefront of the "new folk" music scene that jumpstarted in the early 90s, will bring her blend of acoustic, folk-influenced pop music to Traverse City’s historic Opera House on October 23.
The Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter recently released a live album, Shawn Colvin Live,which showcases her thoughtful songwriting and intimate stage presence.
"I don’t go into writing a song thinking I’m going to speak for anyone other than myself," Colvin told the Los Angeles Times."[But] I do try to impart some wisdom without that touchy-feely kind of thing. People have told me how much they can relate to what’s happening in these songs, so I think some experiences are shared ones."
Colvin won the Best Contemporary Folk Grammy in 1989 for her debut album Steady On, and became a household name eight years later when her pop single "Sunny Came Home" made the top ten charts.
Singer-songwriter May Erlewine, a favorite on the Northern Michigan live music circuit, will open the show, along with British-born pop-rocker Paul Freeman.
Advance tickets are $28; $33 at the door. For ticket information or to purchase tickets, visit porterhouseproductions.com.
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- Video: Friday Night Live Has TC’s Front Street Hopping
- Get your copy of 101 Ways to Love Traverse City
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Beaches near Traverse City