Ernest Hemingway, the Nobel Prize-winning author of classic American reads such as For Whom The Bell Tolls and The Old Man and the Sea, will be the focus of a weekend full of events at annual fall conference of the Michigan Hemingway Society.
The conference, held Oct. 16-18, features a range of discussions, readings, tours and guest speakers on the subject of Hemingway, with a special focus on his time spent in the Petoskey area. The theme for this year’s conference is "Hemingway and Art."
Artist and author Colette Hemingway, this year’s keynote speaker, will speak about her book, In His Time, which studies the paintings Hemingway owned and his relationships with the artists. Seàn Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway’s grandson, will also be on hand to introduce a new, restored edition of A Moveable Feast. A book signing with Seàn is slated for Saturday afternoon at McLean and Eakin Booksellers.
Other speakers include Hemingway nephew John Sanford, who has done extensive research on his grandmother Grace Ann Hemingway’s paintings, and Northern Michigan artist Jerry Gates speaking about what might have attracted Hemingway to the world of visual art.
The conference will take place at the Odawa Hotel, with a special conference rate for attendees wishing to stay overnight through the weekend. To book a room, contact Odawa Hotel at 877-442-6464. More information on the Michigan Hemingway Society and the 2009 fall conference can be found at michiganhemingwaysociety.org.
More great ideas to fill your Hemingway weekend!
- The Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to perfect beaches, Bayview Festivals, the Tunnel of Trees, ethnic eats and more.and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Tour Gorgeous Harbor Springs
- Video: Drive the Tunnel of Trees from Harbor Springs to Good Hart
- Video: A Musical Visit to Bay View
- Video: A Day in Petoskey
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Petoskey, Harbor Springs and Bay Harbor: Just pop in the location where you’d like to eat and browse the wonderful array of restaurant choices.
- Plot your day in Petoskey/Harbor Springs using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Petoskey, Harbor Springs or a nearby town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, art and events of all kinds happening in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Torch Lake!
- Rent a cottage in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: There hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!