Gershwin and Scriabin might seem like strange musical bedfellows, but this kind of range is winning pianist Xiayin Wang (pronounced "shy-een wong") praise as a stirring young interpreter of both classical and contemporary music.
Wang will bring her critically acclaimed talents to the Traverse City Opera House on Friday, September 25, in a program that features Haydn, Debussey, Chopin and Scriabin.
Wang, who studied at Shanghai Conservatory and the presitigious Manhattan School of Music, broke on to the U.S. classical music scene in 2007 with her debut album, Introducing Xiayin Wang, and a much-praised Carnegie Hall performance.
"Even for the most gifted young pianist, it takes a lot to be noticed," says Steven Smith of the New York Times. "Xiayin Wang is clearly doing something right."
Wang’s latest musical fasination is the more obscure Russian composer and mystic Alexander Scriabin, whose work is the subject of her latest CD.
Tickets for the Opera House performance are $32 for adults and $17 for students. VIP Patron Packages are available for $75 and include an after-glow reception with Ms. Wang and a signed copy of her current CD.
Tickets at 231-941-8082 or cityoperahouse.org.
Quick Links to More Fun in the Traverse City region
- The Traverse City Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Traverse City Digital Vacation Guide: Browse the pages of the complete digital Guide and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Traverse City’s Guide to Fun!
- The Complete Traverse City Restaurant Guide
- Video: Friday Night Live Has TC’s Front Street Hopping
- Get your copy of 101 Ways to Love Traverse City
- Flying in or out of Traverse City? Take a video tour of the Cherry Capital Airport to learn all you need to know.
- Plot your day in Traverse City using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Traverse City for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a Cottage in Traverse City
- Traverse City music, festivals, arts and hundreds of events
- Beaches near Traverse City