Eight Leland galleries will open their doors, live music will sound in Harbor Square and local wines, and appetizers will be served during the third and final art walk of the summer, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Friday, August 7.
The Leland Summer Twilight Art Walk is no ordinary art walk, as each of the eight participating gallery owners is also the artist creating the majority of items in the store, said Rick Lahmann, Leland Chamber of Commerce president.
When people are looking around galleries they have the opportunity to talk with the artists about particular pieces and gain insight in to their inspiration, Lahmann said—an uncommon and intriguing opportunity.
Lahmann’s involvement with the art walk goes beyond the planning stages. He will be on call at his gallery—Reflections Art Gallery—in Fishtown during the entire event. Lahmann’s photographs of beautiful Leland are a favorite among passersby. “I do a lot of time exposure nighttime photos of the area,” he said. “The lights just make this place glow. Nothing is computer enhanced. It really is that beautiful.”
Other galleries feature such offerings as pottery, jewelry and paintings. “You can see things in Leland you don’t see elsewhere,” Lahmann said. “Leland is unique in that there are no chain stores in the area. One store has another location, but it’s just in Traverse City.”
And of course, the Art Walk is not just for tourists. “I’m always amazed at how many people that live close by aren’t familiar with Leland, or aren’t familiar with Fishtown,” Lahmann said. “By having events like this, we can entice and introduce people to unique things that are right next door to them.”
Quick Links to More Fun in Leelanau County!
- The Leelanau Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Leelanau Digital Vacation Guide: Browse beautiful pages connecting you to wine tours, great drives, historic Glen Haven, lighthouse tours, canoeing and click to hundreds of websites.
- The Leelanau County "Don’t Miss" List
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Leelanau County: Just type in any Leelanau County town and browse the wonderful array of restaurant options.
- Video: Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Check out all the music, festivals, arts and events of all kinds happening in Leelanau County: Just pop in the name of the Leelanau County town you’d like to play in and choose amongst hundreds of things to do!
- Plot your day in Leelanau County using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose a Leelanau town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Rent a cottage in Leelanau County: There are hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!