One beautiful August morning in Harbor Springs, I proposed the following menu:
- Shrimp risotto with bell pepper, onions, squash, garlic and a little white truffle oil
- Salad of mesclun and frisee lettuces with nectarine wedges, candied walnuts, croutons, green onions and Jerez Spanish sherry vinegar dressing
- Seared halibut with ratatouille with curry, baby carrots and a ginger butter sauce.
- Lemon tart with almond crust
I set off to see what I could find around town. First I went to Bill’s Farm Market and found an abundance of fine, fresh, local produce. Great tomatoes, all the lettuces I needed, lemons, fresh ginger, green and white onions and a beautiful summer squash. I would go back to Bill’s Farm Market to find many more fresh and local items in the weeks to come.
Next stop was Toski-Sands Delicatessen for the fish. They had an impressive display of fish, lobster and meats, and the halibut looked exceptional. I had a smile on my face as I looked around, because I knew I wouldn’t have to go anywhere else to find seafood or meat that day.
After picking up the remaining items at Bluff Garden Market, and having all that I needed, my meal preparation was a success—mainly because I had top-notch ingredients. I’m looking forward to returning to Harbor Springs and seeing what next summer has to offer.
Buy the August Issue and get more of Pascal’s shopping tips! Just click on the photo!
Browse the 2009 Digital Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor Vacation Guide
Find ideas, tips and hundreds of links to fun, food, activities and recreation in the Harbor Springs region!
More Links to Fun in Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and the Little Traverse Region!
- The Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Video: A Day in Petoskey
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Petoskey, Harbor Springs and Bay Harbor: Just pop in the location where you’d like to eat and browse the wonderful array of restaurant choices.
- Plot your day in Petoskey/Harbor Springs using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Petoskey, Harbor Springs or a nearby town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, art and events of all kinds happening in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Torch Lake!
- Rent a cottage in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: There hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!