In a ravine below M-119, north of Harbor Springs, St. Ignatius Church marks the site of a 1741 settlement of Jesuit Missionaries and Native Americans, who called the area “Apatawaaing,” or Middle Village. The current church was built in 1889, and it’s open to the public for visitations, weddings and Sunday mass. To see the picturesque church up close—and Middle Village Cemetery, the serene burial ground of prominent Middle Village Odawa Indians marked by row after row of white crosses—look for North Lamkin Drive on your left, just after the Good Hart General Store. Suggestion: Before or after a visit to the church, swing into the Good Hart General Store and pick up some of their delicious pot pies.
More Links to Fun in Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and the Little Traverse Region!
- The Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to perfect beaches, Bayview Festivals, the Tunnel of Trees, ethnic eats and more.and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: A Day in Petoskey
- The Complete Dining Guide for Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: Just pop in the location where you’d like to eat and browse the wonderful array of restaurant choices.
- Plot your day in Petoskey/Harbor Springs using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in “I’d like to find” and choose Petoskey, Harbor Springs or a nearby town for “in a town near.” Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, art and events of all kinds happening in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Torch Lake!
- Rent a cottage in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: There hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!