Don’t let summer sweater-weather keep you from fun in Northern Michigan. Here are 13 ways to love Up North even in the cool weather. First hit the National Cherry Festival for great food (really), great music, carnival rides, give-aways of every kind and more (here are our 5 "don’t miss" picks for the Festival). Then check out these ideas from MyNorth.com for having a blast Up North—without putting on your bathing suit.
1. Take a wine tour
- Old Mission Peninsula Wine Tour
- Sample Leelanau’s Wine Country
- Up North’s Urban Winery
- More Wine ideas
2. Shop til you drop
- Shop, Eat, Explore Downtown Traverse City
- Three Beach Towns: Sun, Shop, Eat
- Shop Suttons Bay
- Shop Manistee
3. Sample Local Cuisine
- Foodie Road Trip #1: Antrim & Charlevoix Farm Country
- Food Loving Summer
- Northern Michigan’s Best Eats 2009
- More Food & Wine
4. Wander Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Ten Insider Picks for the Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Secret Sleeping Bear: Hike Alligator Hill
- Otter Creek Hike in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- Get Inspired with this Video of the Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Hiking Ideas Throughout Northern Michigan
- Choose Trails on this Interactive Map and find one just right for the day!
5. Take a maritime tour
- Maritime History Tour in Leelanau County
- Love lighthouses? Choose Lighthouses on this Interactive Map and find one near you!
6. Stroll the arts
- Discover the Dennos Museum
- Art Alive in East Jordan
- Discover Michigan Legacy Art Park
- Petoskey’s Got Art
- Visit Interlochen Center for the Arts
7. Follow your nose to fudge on Mackinac Island.
- Mackinac Island’s Worlds Greatest Fudge
- Video: A Day on Mackinac Island
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner on Mackinac Island
- Welcome to the Mackinac Island Vacation Guide
8. Stay home and cook some Up North cozy delights
- Lighthouse Keepers Rhubarb Bread
- Fresh Spring Fritatta, with a Surprise
- Basil Deviled Eggs
- Black Bean Corn Salad
- Recipes for a cool afternoon, for game night, for unexpected guests—for life in Northern Michigan!
9. Go biking
- Our Favorites: Five Road-Ride Cycling Routes
- Bike Mackinac Island’s Interior
- Ride Traverse City’s Tart Trail
- More Biking
10. Visit a fort
- Experience Colonial Michilimackinac
- Discover Fort Mackinac
- Want to visit more Attractions Up North? Click on Attractions on this Interactive Map and map out a day of fun!
11. Tee off
- 8 Courses Not to Miss
- Golf the Traverse City Great Ones
- One-of-a-Kind Courses
- More Golf
- Want to find a course near you? Click on Golf on this Interactive Map and hit the links!
12. Try a new restaurant
- Michigan Beer and Wine Dinners at Boyne Highlands
- Ludington’s Blue Moon Cafe
- Dining: Best Brunch
- New Thai Restaurant in TC
- Video: Red Ginger in Traverse City Makes Sushi
- Find A Restaurant Up North
13. Point at our Calendar and go
- Hundreds of events throughout the North including festivals, nature, music, art, history, kids and more!
Want more? Check out our Vacation Guides for sights to see, where to eat, how to get on the water, where to stay and more!
- Traverse City
- Benzie & the West Shore
- Boyne City, Charlevoix, Elk Rapids & Torch
- Petoskey & Harbor Springs
- Mackinac Island