These homemade gingerbread ornaments are definitely worthy of your Christmas tree, and super fun to make with kids! Here’s how.
- Make gingerbread dough using the recipe below.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Gather an assortment of leaves in all shapes and sizes.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1⁄4-inch thick.
- Press leaves into the dough, vein side down—apply plenty of pressure. Using a sharp knife cut around the sides of the leaves. When cutting around stems, leave extra dough on each side. Gently pull excess dough from around leaf.
- If you want to hang the leaves, use a straw to make a hole near the base of the leaves.
- Transfer the gingerbread leaves to a cookie sheet and carefully pull the real leaves away.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Place on rack to harden for several days, then seal with spray varnish. Remember, these are for show, not to eat!
Gingerbread Ornament Dough
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 31⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon each: cloves, ginger and cinnamon
Beat shortening and sugar together then stir in molasses. Mix dry ingredients and gradually add shortening mixture, beating on low.