1. The Sub-Zero 601RG refrigerator is stylish, state of the art and Energy Star rated. Better yet, Sub-Zero products are made in Wisconsin, so energy isn’t wasted on a trek to your Northern Michigan door. $5,267. trevarrow.com.
2. Breathe easy: Crystal’s Green-Core Manhattan-style cabinets are made from sustainable bamboo and are urea-formaldehyde free. crystalcabinets.com.
3. Rustic recycling bins (made from reclaimed wood) are so Up North. Chalk included. $55. vivaterra.com.
4. Vetrazzo countertops dazzle with recycled glass. $40 to $80 a square foot depending on the color mix. vetrazzo.com.
5. Keep Naturemill’s automatic composter in the kitchen and add coffee grounds, veggies, paper, even meat – anytime. The red light tells you when another pot of dirt is ready. No turning, and no worms, bugs or odor. $399. naturemill.com.
Made in WisconsinShetka stone made from recycled paper. $70-$90 a square foot. Architectural Elements, Traverse City. 231-932-1506. shetkastone.com.
Made in PetoskeyMichigan Maple Block countertops, available through kitchen designers, builders and home improvement stores. From $20. butcherblock.com.
Made in GraylingHMI Specialties, cement countertops. Start at $45 a square foot. 989-348-8179, hmicct.com.
Elizabeth Edwards is managing editor at Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine.email@example.com
Note: This article was first published in January 2008, and was updated for the web February 2008.