Mulled wine for a Northern Michigan winter’s eve.
- 2 bottles of local red wine. Try fruit-forward off-dry blends like Good Harbor Red or Peninsula Cellars Schoolhouse Red.
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 2/3 cup of Black Star Farms Spirit of Cherry Brandy (optional)
- 6 star anise pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 4 black cardamom pods Toast the spices in a dry pan over medium low heat for about two minutes, let cool and place in a spice bag or cheese cloth pouch.
Heat the honey and brandy on low in 4-quart or larger heavy-bottomed pot until the honey is liquefied and blends with the brandy.
Add the wine and spice bag to the pot with the honey brandy mixture, bring to a low simmer and simmer for 30 minutes, making sure not to boil. Serve in mugs and garnish with spices or pomegranate seeds. Serves six to eight.