- 1/3 cup sugar (or up to 1/2 cup, depending on desired sweetness )
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pound rhubarb stalks, cleaned and diced
- 1 quart strawberries, cleaned, hulled and halved
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1–2 bottles sparkling wine
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat combine sugar and water. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add rhubarb and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Add strawberries and lemon juice and simmer for 10 minutes more. Allow mixture to chill. Press juices through a sieve. Pour two tablespoons rhubarb-strawberry juice into a glass, top with sparkling wine.
Emily Betz Tyra is associate editor of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine. email@example.com