Get more of Martha’s asparagus recipes in the featured article Feast of Green.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ pound cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 ounces ice cold water
- 1 pound fresh asparagus trimmed
- 6 green onions trimmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
Pâte Brisée: Place all the above ingredients except water into a food processor. This may also be done by hand. Pulse until butter and flour mixture is pebble-like. Incorporate water into the flour mixture. Allow to rest in refrigerator for at least one hour. This will yield enough for two crusts. Roll out crust and par bake for 15 minutes in tart pan lined with foil and weighted with beans.
Filling: Trim asparagus tips and set aside. Slice asparagus stalks in ½ inch slices. Slice green onions using pale green and white bulbs only. Mix asparagus and green onions in bowl with olive oil. Lay mixture on roasting pan and roast in oven at 375 for 12 minutes. Let cool.
Heat butter in pan and add asparagus tips. Sauté lightly.
Beat eggs with goat cheese, tarragon, parsley, salt and pepper and cream. Sprinkle asparagus and green onions over crust and fill with custard. Sprinkle with parmesan and asparagus tips and bake for 30 minutes at 375 or till set. Slice and serve on mixed greens.