MyNorth.com, the online home of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine, challenged Northern Michigan chefs to prepare a dish that is made with 95 percent Michigan products. We call it the Chef Showdown: Local Foods. Northern Michigan’s chefs, including Martha Ryan the chef/owner of Martha’s Leelanau Table, responded with gusto.
The rules? Prepare a dish of your choice, savory or sweet, but 90 percent of the ingredients must be either raised, grown or foraged in Northern Michigan and an additional 5 percent must be raised, grown or foraged somewhere in Michigan. Additionally, the chefs agreed to provide our readers with their recipes and list of local ingredients—so the MyNorth audience could shop local and prepare the dishes themselves at home.
With so much goodness coming from so many restaurant kitchens we sent MyNorth Media videographer Kris Riley to capture the action in high-definition video. Click to watch the video of Martha preparing this dish. To watch the other videos in this series go to MyNorth.com and type “Chef Showdown: Local Foods” into the search bar.
- 1 cup shredded Leelanau Raclette, Leelanau Cheese Company, Suttons Bay
- 1 cup shredded Boars Head Swiss
- 1/2 cup Chateau Fontaine Chardonnay, Chateau Fontaine Vineyards & Winery, Lake Leelanau
- 2 tablespoons Blackstar Farms Cherry Eau De Vie (brandy), Blackstar Farms Winery, Suttons Bay
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (mixed with brandy)
- 1 clove Michigan organic garlic, peeled
- Bardenhagen red potatoes, Bardenhagen Farms, Suttons Bay
- Gala apples, Friske Orchards, Charlevoix
Put wine in heavy bottom pot and heat to boil. Turn down to medium and add both cheeses. Stir in a zigzag pattern for a minute only. Add the corn starch and brandy to wine and cheese mixture. Cook til smooth and all cheese is melted ( 5-10 minutes). Rub a fondue pot with a cut clove of garlic and pour cheese mixture into pot Serve with fresh apples, roasted potatoes, crusty French Bread and Cornichon. Serves 2 for an appetizer or light meal. Click to watch a video of Martha preparing Leelanau Raclette Fondue. To watch the other videos in the series type "Chef Showdown: Local Foods" in the MyNorth.com search bar.