This healthy summer dish is perfect for enjoying lakeside with friends and family. Florine Mark shares this recipe from her summer cottage in Omena. Happy grilling!
- 1/2 cup papaya, diced
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion, divided
- 1/2 strip green pepper, finely chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick oats
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning, Jamaican variety
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound uncooked ground turkey breast
To prepare salsa, in a medium bowl, combine papaya, mango, 1/4 cup each of red onion and green pepper, cilantro and lime juice; set aside.
To prepare burgers, in a large bowl, combine remaining K cup of red onion, remaining 1/2 cup of green pepper, oats, ketchup, jerk seasoning and egg; mix until well combined. Add turkey; mix thoroughly. Shape turkey mixture into four 1-inch-thick patties; cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Preheat grill. Grill burgers until cooked through, flipping once, about 5 to 7 minutes per side. Serve each burger topped with a heaping 1/3 cup of salsa.
Note: The salsa can be prepared up to one day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. These burgers can also be broiled until cooked through, flipping once, about 16 to 20 minutes total.