This recipe is brought to you by Sue Nichols and her cafe catering business at Riverfront Pizza and Specialties in Glen Arbor, Michigan.
See their whole menu at riverfrontpizza.com
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 honeycrisp (or your favorite) apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 pear (any variety) cored and chopped.
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/4 cup roasted, seasoned walnuts
Sweet & Spicy Walnuts:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted in pan
- 2 cups walnuts, cook in butter until lightly browned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Celery Seed Dressing:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 cup good olive oil
Salad: Layer ingredients in glass bowl and serve with dressing on the side. Garnish with fresh grapes, apples, pears and tomatoes.
Sweet & Spicy Walnuts: Mix the dry ingredients together and toss with the butter and walnuts, add 1 teaspoon water if needed. Cool before adding to salad. Makes enough walnuts for four salads (store in an airtight container for up to two weeks).
Celery Seed Dressing: Whisk all ingredients together, makes about 1 1/2 cups of dressing that will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.