A surprising dish with two tastes that work well together. (Wear latex or rubber gloves when working with beets to avoid red-stained hands.) From King of The Q’s Blue Plate BBQ, by Ted Reader.
- 2 beets, blanched
- 2 pears
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese.
Preheat grill to medium heat (about 350°F). Peel beets and cut into K-inch wide sticks. Wrap beet sticks in foil and roast on grill until tender, about 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from grill and carefully open foil pouch. Set aside.
Slice pears in half through stem and then slice in half again. Remove core. Place pears on preheated oiled grill, and grill for 3 to 4 minutes, turning several times, until tender and lightly charred. Remove pears from grill and set aside.
In small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients, except cheese. In serving bowl, combined grilled beets and pears. Pour in honey-orange dressing and toss. Garnish with blue cheese and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.