2 pounds fresh asparagus 11⁄2 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped onion
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups water (can use chicken or vegetable stock for more flavor)
2 cups hot milk
2 teaspoons dill
2 teaspoons tarragon Pinch of black pepper
1. Wash asparagus in cold water. Hold asparagus spear at the end of the stem and bend to break. Discard ends. Cut spears into 1-inch pieces, reserving tips.
2. Cook onion and asparagus pieces in butter and salt for 10 minutes over medium heat, in a pot. When the onions are transparent and soft, sprinkle in 2 tablespoons flour, stirring constantly for another 8-10 minutes. (The flour will help to thicken the soup)
3. Add water (or stock) and stir constantly until it boils, then lower heat to simmer. After 5 minutes, sprinkle in last tablespoon of flour, mix well. Cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Puree soup with hot milk in small batches in food processor or blender. Place pureed soup back into a pan. Season the puree with dill, tarragon, salt and pepper.
5. Add asparagus tips and heat soup gently. Do not boil.