Myles Anton, chef at Trattoria Stella in Traverse City, shares his recipe for the Italian holiday dessert Apostles’ Fingers.
- 1-1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Topping:2 teaspoons confectioner’s sugar1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Combine the ricotta and confectioner’s sugar.
Press the mixture through a strainer into a bowl. Stir in the cocoa and cinnamon.
Beat the eggs with the vanilla and salt.
Heat a little of the oil in a 8-inch nonstick skillet.
When the pan is hot, pour in enough of the batter to cover the bottom of the pan.
Swirl the batter around quickly to form a thin pancake.
Once set, turn it over and cook the other side briefly.Slide omelet onto a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
Place 2 tablespoons of the filling on each warm omelet and roll up.
Combine topping ingredients and sift over the tops and serve.(Anton suggests putting an almond at one end to represent the fingernail. )