- 2/3 cup each raspberries, blueberries, blackberries (or strawberries if in season), rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and 1 tablespoon zest, finely chopped
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 purchased angel food cake, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 ounces almonds, sliced
- 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon and sugar Fresh mint as garnish
In a medium bowl, combine the berries, orange juice and zest. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow the fruit to macerate. Pour the heavy cream and vanilla into a mixer or chilled copper bowl and whip until soft peaks form. In a trifle dish place a layer of the angel food cake. On top of the cake, spoon a layer of the berries, then a layer of whipped cream, then a sprinkle of almonds. Repeat the layering until you reach the top. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with cinnamon, sugar and fresh mint. Serves six.