- This event has passed.
Twisted Fish Gallery is offering affordable, fun art classes on Thursday mornings during March.
“Watercolor and More” classes begin March 5 with watercolorist Mary Guntzviller. Guntzviller has been teaching since 1993 and will offer beginning and intermediate instruction.
Classes will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Each class costs $35; you can register for just one class or as many as you’d like. Some supplies (see list here) can be purchased ahead of time and Guntzviller will gather other, hard-to-find items into a kit that she will sell for $55. Please reserve a kit when you call to register and look through the list of other supplies to make sure have them before your class. You will need all the items from both sources.
Guntzviller says drawing and painting can provide relief from the stress of everyday life “if you give yourself permission to try.” She will lead a fun, no-pressure class. “Mistakes are required. Wear old clothes,” she says. Guntzviller will lead four classes (March 5, 12, 19 and 26), specifically designed for beginner and intermediate painters.
- Learn basic drawing skills during the first hour of the class.
- Learn or reinforce your watercolor skills during the remaining time.
- Techniques such as wet on wet, dry brush, splatter and many more will be demonstrated.
- Learn about mixing water with pigment to make colors muted or bolder. (The ratio of water to paint is the key to successful watercolor results.)
- We’ll take a break partway through the class for tea, coffee and snacks.
- Students will work at their own level with frequent demonstrations.
- We will review our results at the end of each session.
- Bring humor.
“These classes are lots of fun – and there’s no pressure,” Guntzviller says.
Guntzviller has a BFA from Wayne State University and has been a professional artist since 1988. “McGillicutty, A Very Special Bear,” illustrated by Guntzviller, was published in December.
Students also will be able to get a 10 percent discount off purchases in the Twisted Fish Gallery. Now’s your chance to get the artwork you’ve always wanted!
Class size is limited and the deadline to register is Thursday, Feb. 26. Call the gallery, 264-0123, today.