- This event has passed.
The 2013 Inland Seas Classic Boat Show will be conjunction with the Wine on the Water Festival on Saturday July 20, 2013, from 10 am to 4 pm.
This year’s theme is “Canoe Heritage”.
The Classic Boat Show was held annually in Suttons Bay for 25 years until 2004. Inland Seas revived the show in 2012 and plans to make it an annual event. “We are pleased to bring the Classic Boat Show back to Suttons Bay” said ISEA’s Executive Director Tom Kelly. “This event will bring together a diverse group of sailboats, motorboats, canoes, kayaks, rowboats and prams and will give the public a chance to meet the owners and see these boats up close”.
This year’s Classic Boat Show will feature canoes, from early native bark types to modern cedar strip – epoxy versions. We might even have a few concrete canoes designed and built by university engineering students. There will also be a good representation of classic motor, sail and human powered boats.
2013 Activities include: (all activities are free unless noted)
- Birch bark canoe built on site by Native American craftsman
- Voyageur canoe rides
- Educational harbor tours aboard the motor whaleboat Lake Sturgeon (fee)
- Harbor tours aboard the classic motor yacht Liberty (fee)
- Dockside tours aboard the schooners Inland Seas and Madeline
- Wooden pram building demonstration
- Nautical Flea Market all day.
- Silent auction of boats.
- Raffle of 16′ Abinaki canoe and other items at 5 pm. Tickets are only $10.
- Live fish and invasive species exhibits in the Exhibit Hall
- Wetland walks, birding walks
- Displays by area environmental organizations
- Hot dogs grilled on site by the Suttons Bay – Leelanau Rotary Club (fee)
The Classic Boat Show admission is free and will be a fun event for all ages.