MyNorth.com Introduces Video of Life Up North
MyNorth.com has it all including cool new video stories on music, art, green home building and even sled dog rides in Northern Michigan
Traverse City, Mich. April 18, 2008–Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine‘s newly launched website, MyNorth.com, now provides its audience with an amazing new way to experience Northern Michigan: video. From short how-to videos to lengthier travel pieces, MyNorth.com currently offers nine videos to watch, with many more to come.
Jeff Morgan, head of Traverse‘s video department, has been busy behind the scenes producing stories for the launch of MyNorth.com since January.
“I think this is one of the most forward thinking projects I have ever worked on,” Morgan says. “Not only is MyNorth.com bringing stories of local interest to the web, but we are doing it in style. We have broadcast-quality videos streaming stories of all kinds to people whenever and wherever they want. Plus, all of the videos are produced in High Definition for future compatibility.”
Videos currently on the MyNorth.com include:
- Danny Forster’s Cool, Green House: Danny Forster, the host of Discovery Channel’s 2007 show, Build It Bigger, walks us through his first solo architectural project–an exciting, innovative green home in Omena, on the shores of Lake Michigan.
- Ride a Dog Sled: Cruise with a team of Alaskan huskies through the wintry Boyne Highlands woods in Northern Michigan’s snow country.
- How To: Beautify Your Bookshelves: Follow these simple steps for stylish, eye-catching bookshelves.
- My Petoskey Winter: Cinematographer Jeff Morgan spends a winter day exploring downtown Petoskey.
- How To: Veggie Monograms: Add unexpected elegance to your table with easy monogrammed place settings.
- The Road From Hancock to Nashville in Two Parts: Paul Smith, a singer-songwriter living in Hancock, Michigan, recently scored the gig of a lifetime: recording with legendary Nashville producer Cowboy Jack Clement. Also included is a jam session with Smith and Cowboy Jack Clement.
- The Making of a Russell Chatham Lithograph: Renowned painter and writer Russell Chatham takes us on the journey to create a lithograph, from sketching the landscape to the intricacies of applying ink in the studio.
Be sure to check out MyNorth.com in the coming weeks for upcoming videos such as Jack Lane’s “Ask The Real Estate Guy,” a piece on Nordic walking poles and coverage from the 2008 Women’s Winter Tour. Future projects include a video about tango in Traverse City–featuring a tango how-to and exclusive performance from a local tango band–and a piece introducing the North’s fabulous microbreweries, including an overview of the brewing process and tasting of their unique products. Traverse’s video department will also be at Kalkaska’s annual Trout Festival, covering the opening ceremonies and trout tasting competition judged by Traverse’s own food editor, Emily Betz Tyra.
MyNorth.com will continue producing top-quality video, covering everything from live local concerts, cooking demonstrations and more. With the growth of this feature, MyNorth.com will introduce channels of interest so visitors will always be able to find a new recipe, musical performance or interview.
Morgan, who graduated from Northern Michigan University with a BFA in digital cinema and electronic imaging, formerly worked as an editor and producer in Los Angeles, assisting on projects ranging from independent features to US Army commercials. Since returning to Michigan, Morgan has worked as a writer, producer, cinematographer and editor, developing relationships with Auction Network, Community Mental Health, Child and Family Services, Brauer Productions, Super Channel Canada and others. He also shot and edited a documentary in Nairobi, Kenya, and wrote, directed and edited his first feature film, Folk Lore.
About Prism Publications, Inc.
Prism Publications, Inc., founded in 1981 by Deborah Wyatt Fellows, publishes MyNorth.com, Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine, Northern Home & Cottage and Destination Northern Michigan, a Northern Michigan travel guide, in addition to several other print and online publications. Traverse and its staff have won more than a dozen national and international awards for excellence, including most recently “Magazine of the Year” from the International Regional Magazine Association and a 2007 silver award for general excellence from the City and Regional Magazine Association. Prism has also published Reflections of a Life Up North, a coffee-table book of stunning photography from Traverse paired with a collection of Fellows’s columns, which has been reprinted in an expanded edition. Prism Publications is also a proud sponsor of many events including the Cottage & Lakefront Living Show, the Michigan Log & Timber Expo, The Epicurean Classic and the National Cherry Festival’s Cherries D’Vine event. The privately held company is headquartered in Traverse City, Mich. For more information, visit mynorth.com or call (231) 941-8174.