MyNorth Media, located in Traverse City, Michigan, seeks individual with management experience to lead creative direction of our products and our brand. The ideal candidate is an innovative, detail-oriented designer-at-heart ready to work with the art team, photographers, freelancers, editorial and sales teams to execute the mission and the vision. This is an opportunity to create without layers of decision making, to do work that holds its own anywhere in the country and to live in Traverse City, a location getting national recognition for its food, wineries, breweries, entertainment and easy, engaged lifestyle in a gorgeous place.
This experienced individual will be responsible for all print design, from concept to photography to final layout. In addition, the creative director is in charge of the visual brand for the organization as a whole, as well as the parts, working with staff as well as contracted writers, etc.
MyNorth Media is a 35-year-old, mission-driven media/tech company based in Traverse City, Michigan, with an audience of 1.9 million. MyNorth Media was named one of Michigan’s 50 Companies To Watch in 2014 for the company’s incredible innovation and success. The flagship publication, Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine, launched in June, 1981. Today, MyNorth Media produces 11 magazines, as well as one of the most successful websites in the state, MyNorth.com. Other products include as ShopMyNorth, MyNorthTickets, five enewsletters, custom publishing, video and more.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the magazines through the entire design and production process (finalizing lineup, assigning and art directing photo shoots, designing layouts, print production, color correction, and proofs)
- Build upon relationships with a deep roster of talented photographers, stylists, and illustrators
- Work closely with the Editor-in-Chief to produce creative, compelling layouts
- Art direct photographers and stylists on set
- Manage the art budget
- Design marketing materials for for events, print, and online, managing the brand for MyNorth Media and its parts.
- Keep tabs on industry best practices and bring fresh ideas to the table
- Source products for photos
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills
- A good eye for design and style across media, as well as a strong understanding of photography, typography, and illustration
- Ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to working collaboratively in a team
- 5 years of magazine or related experience
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite; web design and photography experience a plus
Send resume and samples to [email protected].
MyNorth Media, located in Traverse City, Michigan, seeks a sales professional who has proven experience working with businesses to help them achieve their marketing goals. This experienced sales professional will represent the 35-year-old, award winning publication, Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine, as well as MyNorth.com, one of Michigan’s most successful websites. In addition, MyNorth Media sales include 11 more magazines as well as five enewsletters. The ideal candidate is a strategic sales professional, comfortable with an array of media products from print to digital, who enjoys meeting and working with businesses of all sizes. Must be an independent, organized and ambitious person who builds relationships and territories and who believes in consultant selling as well as commitment to the company’s vision. Established accounts. Send resume to [email protected].
MyNorth Media offers marketing internships all year. Candidates must be 21 years of age at the time of the internship because we work with events where wine and beer are served. If you would like to apply, please provide three writing samples, resume and cover letter to Marketing Director, Rachel North.
Our internships are flexible. We work around the intern’s work schedule to come up with roughly 20 hours per week for 12 weeks. (some work can be done at home computers.) We offer a stipend at the end of $1,000.
Duties include (but aren’t limited to):
- Updating Facebook and Twitter daily
- Keeping track of our results for our newsletters and other ads into a large excel sheet
- Logistics, staffing and follow up on events (Microbrew & Music, Wine & Art, Northern Home & Cottage Kitchen Tour, etc.)
- Producing materials for events like subscription forms, flyers, entry pads, posters
- Editing our newsletters (5 per month) from the content available on MyNorth.com
- Really glamorous stuff like typing in the entry forms from events, fulfilling ShopMyNorth.com orders, answering consumer questions,
- Updating our assignment logs
- Loading product descriptions into ShopMyNorth.com
- Contacting winners of our contests, facilitating their prize, recapping their story
- Writing some text ads for us for our newsletter
- Refilling our displays with publications, posting flyers and posters
Other opportunities that are possible:
- Writing and distributing press releases
- Writing print ads
- Coordinating our charitable giving
- Putting new products and promotions into our store
Where can this lead? The more skill you demonstrate, the more MyNorth Media will teach you.
- We will teach you the skills you’ll need for entry level positions in any of following areas:
- Public relations, you’ll be able to pitch stories via email, know how to put together a media list, know how to write and submit a press release. Vocus is the technology we use here
- Event management, how to plan, execute and evaluate an event
- Publishing, you’ll be able to point to a newsletter and say, I edited that. And you’ll have experience working with MailChimp, an email management program
- Social marketing, we’ll give you the corporate view of things, so you can write for a corporation’s purpose
- Advertising and sales promotion, you’ll have skills trafficking projects with designers, possibly writing text ads and working on sell sheets