MyNorth Media has an immediate opening for an Art Director in charge of the team designing Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine, Northern Home & Cottage and MyNorth.com. Must have expertise in designing print magazine covers and experience producing a publication. Responsibilities include managing the Art Department, defining and guiding the MyNorth Media brand, as well as day-to-day responsibilities working with freelance photographers, scheduling projects and prioritizing assignments.
MyNorth Media is a fast-paced, top quality, mission focused environment. We celebrate and protect Northern Michigan’s resources including its landscapes and shorelines, its towns, farms and communities and its entrepreneurs and leaders. This mission has guided our efforts for 35 years and sets the path forward.
If you’re interested in becoming a member of our team, please send your resume and portfolio link, including examples of print covers, to [email protected]
MyNorth Media offers marketing internships all year. Candidates must be 21 years of age at the time of the internship because we work with events where wine and beer are served. If you would like to apply, please provide three writing samples, resume and cover letter to Marketing Director, Rachel North.
Our internships are flexible. We work around the intern’s work schedule to come up with roughly 20 hours per week for 12 weeks. (some work can be done at home computers.) We offer a stipend at the end of $1,000.
Duties include (but aren’t limited to):
- Updating Facebook and Twitter daily
- Keeping track of our results for our newsletters and other ads into a large excel sheet
- Logistics, staffing and follow up on events (Microbrew & Music, Wine & Art, Northern Home & Cottage Kitchen Tour, etc.)
- Producing materials for events like subscription forms, flyers, entry pads, posters
- Editing our newsletters (5 per month) from the content available on MyNorth.com
- Really glamorous stuff like typing in the entry forms from events, fulfilling ShopMyNorth.com orders, answering consumer questions,
- Updating our assignment logs
- Loading product descriptions into ShopMyNorth.com
- Contacting winners of our contests, facilitating their prize, recapping their story
- Writing some text ads for us for our newsletter
- Refilling our displays with publications, posting flyers and posters
Other opportunities that are possible:
- Writing and distributing press releases
- Writing print ads
- Coordinating our charitable giving
- Putting new products and promotions into our store
Where can this lead? The more skill you demonstrate, the more MyNorth Media will teach you.
- We will teach you the skills you’ll need for entry level positions in any of following areas:
- Public relations, you’ll be able to pitch stories via email, know how to put together a media list, know how to write and submit a press release. Vocus is the technology we use here
- Event management, how to plan, execute and evaluate an event
- Publishing, you’ll be able to point to a newsletter and say, I edited that. And you’ll have experience working with Exact Target, an email management program
- Social marketing, we’ll give you the corporate view of things, so you can write for a corporation’s purpose
- Advertising and sales promotion, you’ll have skills trafficking projects with designers, possibly writing text ads and working on sell sheets
- Direct marketing, you’ll be able to manage a list, set up a project and know all the components, possibly even write some direct mail letters