The MyNorth Calendar highlights the amazing things going on across the North—Cadillac up to the Upper Peninsula. Each week, we pick a few of our favorites to share with you, including our once-a-month KIDS focused roundup. Curated by MyNorth Media’s Calendar Editor, Libby Stallman, here’s what’s happening for the littles (and almost grownups) Up North in April.
NMC Children’s Choir Spring Concert: The concert features Dolce, Bel Canto, Lyric, Ragazzo and Cantus performing music from around the world! Lars Hockstad Auditorium, Traverse City. April 30 at 3 p.m.; 800.836.0717 or mynorthtickets.com.
- Story Hour at Horizon Books in Traverse City includes listening to a children’s book, an activity and a craft. Every Friday at 10 a.m. April 14’s theme is Easter; a new theme each week.
- Story Time With Ms. Laura every Thursday at 10:30 a.m., birth to 5 years old. Hear stories, dance to songs and play with friends. Charlevoix Public Library.
- Story Stew at the Peninsula Community Library. The first and third Thursdays at 9:30. Stories, crafts and songs fill this hour-long program for preschoolers.
- Nature Story Hour at Grass River Natural Area, April 18 at 10 a.m. Ages 3 and up. Bellaire, 231.533.8576.
- Kids Matinee at State and Bijou only 25 cents! Hop for Easter. Saturday, April 15 at two times: 10 a.m. & 10:30 a.m. The Lorax for Earth Day will be shown on Saturday, April 22, 10 a.m. 231.947.4800.
- Join wilderness guide Emily Hughes on a spring woods walk to discover the numerous ways to explore! Kids ages 5-10 are invited to join their parents as we discover the woods along the Minnehaha River at the McCune Nature Preserve near Petoskey. This adventure will be on April 20 at 3 p.m. 231.347.0991
- Peepers Program at the Boardman River Nature Preserve: These 90-minute nature programs include stories and discovery activities specifically developed for children ages 3-5. All children must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of each session. 231.941.0960 x 24. Tuesdays at 10 a.m.
THEATER & DANCE
- The Dance Center Youth Ensemble presents, “Sleeping Beauty and More…” on Saturday, April 15 at 2 p.m. Milliken Auditorium on the campus of Northwestern Michigan College.
- Family theater at its best, the HAP presents a “tale as old as time” with Disney’s classic musical, Beauty and the Beast. Don’t miss this magical family experience! Not a GTACS sponsored event. St. Francis High School Auditorium, April 21 at 7 p.m. 800.979.2420.
- Celebration for Young Children: Many hands-on activities, performances and entertainment in shops throughout Downtown TC, including the City Opera House, Horizon Books and many more; enjoy a day of fun on April 29, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. 231.922.2050.
- Basics In Natural Horsemanship is an entry-level class for older teens and adults interested in learning about equine communication and herd dynamics. No previous horse experience is necessary. For more information visit PEACE Ranch, Traverse City.
- Easter Egg Hunt Petoskey District Library April 15 at 10:15 a.m.
- Easter Egg Hunt East Park in Downtown Charlevoix April 15 at 2 p.m.