Five family-friendly winter activities in Northern Michigan in case you find yourself stuck in a snowbank …
1. Grab your friends and family and go tubing. Timberlee Hills will step up your average tubing experience-tubing without the exhausting walk back to the top! Timberlee Hills features their very own tow rope to make your tubing experience anything but a workout! Make sure you bring your snow pants and gloves—this place will not disappoint! The kind friendly staff, warm cocoa, and of course tubing make a perfect white winter day/night in Northern Michigan. (10484 S. Timberlee Dr., Traverse City)
2. Go on a Horse-Drawn Surrey Ride. Nothing is more magical than a horse-drawn surrey ride. You will even be able to warm those rosey red cheeks with complimentary hot cocoa and a warm campfire at the end of your ride. There is no better way to spend your Saturdays than behind a team of beautiful Belgians. $10 per person, and children 6 and under ride free with a paying adult (One child per adult). To reserve your spot on this winter wonderland adventure call 888.968.7686 ext. 7000. (12500 Crystal Mountain Dr., Thompsonville)
3. Go Ice Skating. Go grab a pair of skates and head on over to Downtown Suttons Bay for some good skating fun. From beginners to professionals, everyone has a place here at this free, family-friendly rink, that is open to the public. Perfect place to grab some pals and lace up! (Located on the corner of Broadway & Lincoln Streets)
4. Go Snowshoeing. For the best snowshoeing experience go to Empire Bluff trail in Empire, Michigan. Snowshoeing is not only a great way to get out and explore Michigan’s winter beauty, but it is also a great source of exercise! This trail does not only capture some of Northern Michigan’s finest views, but the hiking terrain is not too extensive of a trip. You will not be disappointed with your snowshoeing trip to the bluffs.
5. Get out your cross country and go skiing. Grab your cross-country skis and head on over to the beautiful state Hospital trails in Traverse City Michigan. This family-friendly trail is the perfect mix of beauty and difficulty. From natural water springs, painted fallen trees, and a view overlooking the whole city, these trails have a must see for every family.