Bushes will soon be laden with blueberries and blackberries across the state. Enjoy the fruits of the season with this easy Northern Michigan blueberry pastry recipe the whole family will love.
- 1/2 cup blackberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Heat the oven to 375°F. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the blackberry preserves, cornstarch, brown sugar and lemon zest. Fold in the fresh berries and vanilla.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Roll out the puff pastry sheets into 12-by-12-inch squares. Cut each puff pastry sheet into 4 squares.
- Lay a pastry square on your work surface. Place 2 heaping tablespoons of berry filling in the center of the square. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash and fold up all four corners to meet to form a “purse.” Carefully press the edges together to seal them. Carefully transfer the purses to a cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Brush the tops of each pastry with the egg wash and sprinkle them with granulated sugar. Bake the pastries until they’re golden brown, which should take about 25 minutes.
Find more spring treats and seasonal dishes in MyNorth’s recipe guide!
#2016 #Up_North #Food_&_Drink