On Saturday, September 6th, 2014, Northern Michigan kids will get their chance to participate in a sport event typically reserved for more mature athletes. The Traverse City Youth Triathlon is a kid-sized version of the popular three-sport event in which competitors swim, bike and run to the finish line. The event will be held at the Grand Traverse Civic Center in Traverse City.
To learn about healthy exercise habits for kids, read an interview with Dr. David S. Olson.
The event is divided into to age categories that determine the distances covered in each portion of the race. The triathlon is designed to promote participants’ overall fitness and self-confidence within a safe, controlled environment. The two age divisions break down as follows:
Ages 12 and under will:
- Swim 100 yards in the Civic Center’s lap pool
- Bike 3 miles on the Civic Center’s pathways
- Run .5 miles across the grounds of the Civic Center
Teens (13-18) will:
- Swim 200 yards in the Civic Center’s lap pool
- Bike 6 miles on the Civic Center’s pathways
- Run 1 mile across the grounds of the Civic Center
For more information of the Traverse City Youth Triathlon and to register your child for the event, please visit UpNMedia.com.