Another Leelanau Peninsula winery is bringing home some hardware: Shady Lane Cellars of Suttons Bay won six awards at the 2014 Riverside International Wine Competition, including three ‘Best of Class’ awards, which are the highest honors given at the competition. The prestigious competition, in its 33rd year, was held May 6th through the 8th at the South Coast Winery Resort & Spa in California, where eleven panels of 44 professional judges evaluated roughly 1,900 wines from around the world.
Shady Lane Cellars took home six medals out of six wines entered into the competition. Their list of award winning wines are:
- 2012 Gewürztraminer — Chairman’s Award Gold Medal, Best of Class
- 2011 Blue Franc — Chairman’s Award Gold Medal, Best of Class
- 2011 Franc ‘n’ Franc — Chairman’s Award Gold Medal, Best of Class
- 2012 Dry Riesling — Gold Medal
- 2012 Semi-Dry Riesling — Silver Medal
- 2012 Cabernet Franc — Silver Medal
“Wines grown on Leelanau Peninsula continue to win an increasing number of awards,” states Shady Lane Cellars winemaker, Adam Satchwell, “and we are thrilled and proud to have six of Shady Lane’s wines among other winners from the best wine regions of the world.”
Among the list of other winners are wines from renowned wine regions including California, Washington, Oregon and New York, France, Italy, Spain, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina and Canada.
Learn more about the Riverside International Wine Competition at RiversideWineCompetition.com