Prepare for spring by seeking fresh Northern Michigan sushi with your sweetie. The following list was first published in the 2014 March issue to Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine.
The Fusion 300 Main St., Frankfort, 231.352.4114
- Frankfort’s funky fusionistic pan-Asian bistro creatively commingles with the BLT maki roll made of bacon, lettuce, tempura shrimp and parsley aioli. Chow on colorful classics like the Red Dragon and Crunchy Spider rolls.
Red Ginger 237 E. Front St., Traverse City, 231.944.1733
- Be seen flashing your chopstick skills at this iconic Front Street Asian eatery. Chef Dan Marsh gets near-daily deliveries of ultra fresh Pacific snapper, tuna and octopus to build brightly colored Nigiri and signature rolls like the Snap Dragon with red snapper, mango, avocado and cucumber.
Take A Video Tour of Traverse City’s Fabulous Food Finds:
Nagoya 314 W. Mitchell, Petoskey, 231.753.2558
- Launched last summer, Petoskey’s Nagoya rolls up kaleidoscopic creations like the Color Dragon: tempura shrimp and cucumber wrapped with spicy tuna, eel and avocado or the Nagoya Sushi Cake, a vertical presentation of spicy tuna, eel, white tuna and bright tobiko.
Grey Gables Inn 308 Belvedere Ave., Charlevoix, 231.547.9261
- Every Wednesday, chef Darren Romano unleashes his deba blade on bright ahi tuna, unagi eel and sweet shrimp to craft sushi staples and house favorites like the Cool Hawaii and 69 rolls.
Low Bar 128 S Union St., Traverse City
- After your sushi binge at Aerie or Red Ginger stroll down to the hip, hushed environs beneath Seven Monks Taproom to sample craft cocktails at Low Bar, TC’s new nod to the speakeasy.