Photo by Stafford's Perry Hotel
From a food fight between two cooking-inclined countries to a duo of nautical-themed dinners, here are a five April food events in Northern Michigan:
Cookbook Dinner Series at Amical
- From Monday, April 7th to Sunday the 13th, Amical’s menu features selections from Michael Symon’s Carnivore, by celebrity chef Michael Symon. Symon is a man who’s not afraid to proclaim his love of all things meat. Carnivore offers meat as the starring role in meal planning. The Traverse City restaurant will adopt Syman’s passion and use of meat as a way of elevating their dishes, meals and celebrations. Selected recipe books for the 2013-2014 series are available at Horizon Books. Dinners from 5:30 to 9 pm, reservations recommended. 231.941.8888, Amical.com.
Annual Titanic Dinner at Stafford’s Perry Hotel
- Models, original newspapers and artifacts are on display at Petoskey’s Stafford’s Perry Hotel on Saturday, April 12th, as well as table settings representing first, second and third class passengers. Titanic historian David Kaplan presents a visual and narrative program of the ship, its events and the effect it has had on history. Dinner begins at 6 pm. $65 per guest includes butlered hors d’ oeuvres, a five course dinner and the Kaplan presentation. 231.347.4000, Staffords.com.
Captain’s Dinner and Ship Tour 12 at Great Lakes Maritime Academy
- Enjoy a gourmet pasta dinner prepared under the supervision of the Great Lakes Culinary Institute chefs on Saturday, April 12th in Traverse City; tour the T/S State of Michigan and the Ship Training Simulator; and bid on items in the silent auction. Two seatings: 5:30 pm and 7pm. $50 tickets. 231.995.1209, GLMACaptainsDinner.com.
TC Ale Trail Brewery Tours in Traverse City
- Includes tasters at each brewery, snacks, transportation and a knowledgeable tour guide. On Saturday, April 12th tour these breweries: Bravo Zulu, Right Brain, The Workshop and Ferment. On Saturday, April 26th, tour these breweries: Jolly Pumpkin, Mackinaw Brewing Company, Filling Station and Big Toe. Each tour runs from 1 to 5 pm.
7th Annual France vs. Italy Dinner
- On Thursday, April 17th, two of Northern Michigan’s favorite chefs once again go dish for dish in their respective traditions. Representing France: Chef Guillaume Hazaël-Massieux of La Bécasse in Burdickville and Bistro Fou Fou in Traverse City. Representing Italy: Chef Myles Anton of Trattoria Stella in Traverse City. Six side-by-side French & Italian courses with a shared ingredient. From 6 to 10 pm, $150 inclusive of tax & gratuity. Reservations taken at Trattoria Stella, 231.929.8989. Traverse City, StellaTC.com.