Attention foodies! We’ve got 53 Northern Michigan Fabulous Food Finds from Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine’s 2014 March edition. Throughout the week, we’ll be posting each food-finder’s favorites in series. Today’s treasure hunter: Shannon Beia.
←A native of Traverse City’s Ninth Street, Shannon Beia resigned from Merck Pharmaceuticals to chase her three children as “CEO of domestic engineering.” Shannon loves the burgeoning diversity and access to specialty ingredients. She and husband Terry are avid home cooks exploring Italian, Thai and Indian cuisines.
1). Baked Oatmeal from Greenhouse Cafe, 115 East Front Street, Traverse City, 231.929.7687
- Steel-cut oats laced with apples, cherries and almonds are baked into a crisp-edged brick of goodness and piled with fresh strawberries, bananas and vanilla yogurt. Yum.
2). French Onion Sandwich from Ez Cheesy, 448 East Front Street, Traverse City, 231.946.1116
- The unmistakable bright yellow sandwich wagon sidled up at Little Fleet serves a delicious collision of soup-meets-sandwich. Caramelized onions, roasted garlic and gooey Gruyère bookended with crusty grilled bread.
3). Tacos from Spanglish, 1333 Yellow Drive, Traverse City 231.943.1453
- Warm corn tortillas are filled with braised chicken or crispy carnitas, shredded cabbage, salsa verde, onion, cilantro and feta. →
4). The Amelia from Low Bar, 128 South Union Street, Traverse City
- TC’s hip new speakeasy crafts this artful intoxicant from Russian vodka, St. Germaine elderflower liqueur and Merlet Cassis shaken with fresh-squeezed lime juice, accented with mint and poured into a frosted cocktail coupe.
5). Corned Beef Hash from Rounds, 1033 E. 8th Street Road, Traverse City, 231.941.4124
- ← Start your day with a breakfast binge of housemade hash: chunky-cut corned beef brisket, onions and potatoes artfully commingled on the griddle and adorned with a perfectly poached egg.
6). Wet Cappuccino from Morsels, 321 West Front Street, Traverse City, 231.421.1353
- Single origin beans from Intelligentsia, Chi-Town’s iconic roaster, are deftly extracted into rich espresso, cut with hot milk and adorned with a dollop of pillowy foam.
7). Coconut Rice Pudding from Red Ginger, 237 East Front Street, Traverse City, 231.944.1733
- Red Ginger’s post-sushi sweet retreat is made with fragrant rice cooked in coconut custard with bruléed vanilla sugar, mango slices and coconut rum sauce.
8). Pizza Fungi from Full Moon Pizza Co, 910 E. 8th Street, Traverse City, 231.421.9404
- Full Moon’s terrifically toothsome crust is bedecked with bacon, roasted mushrooms, spinach, mascarpone and a proprietary cheese blend before being put to the wood fire. →
9). Cheese and Honeycomb from Manny’s Specialty Cheese, 1132 East Eighth Street, Traverse City, 231.929.2809
- Cave-aged Gruyère, local goat tomme and pungent Papillon Roquefort all play nice with the sublimely sweet crunch of fresh honeycomb at TC’s favorite cheese temple.