Traverse City’s Sugarkissed reveals secrets to super cocoa. That’s right. Super cocoa.
Sure, “basic” hot cocoa is pretty much perfect as is, but, you know, what if there were a way to actually make it better. We posed the question to Chrissy Burke, proprietor and chief hot cocoa maker at Traverse City’s SugarKissed (231.421.9156), a dessert destination she opened on Front Street in June 2012. Find her cocoa-ology distilled to bullet points below.
- Use whole milk and half-n-half in a 6:1 ratio (we’re listening).
- Make a batch of your own cocoa mix—3 parts powdered bakers chocolate to one part sugar. Stir good amount into milk.
- Add chocolate chips (as many as you like!) into the hot milk and stir till melted. (Really makes it creamy and good, Chrissy says.)
- Top with marshmallows, whipped cream and, of course, sprinkles. (Kids love their sprinkles, says our expert.)
- Master class: stir in a teaspoon of peanut butter or Nutella before topping.