By Emily Betz Tyra
- 3 medium zucchini, grated with the skin on
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Vegetable or extra-virgin olive oil for cooking
- Plain yogurt to accompany
Sprinkle the grated zucchini with about 1 teaspoon of salt and let sit in a colander in the sink for about 5 minutes. Remove the excess moisture from the zucchini by squeezing the liquid out with paper towels. Whisk eggs in a large bowl; add the zucchini, flour, thyme, tarragon, dill and green onions. Mix to combine. Fold in the feta and walnuts.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook fritters in two batches. Drop six mounds of batter (2 tablespoons each) into the skillet. Flatten slightly. Cook, turning once, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately, with plain yogurt on the side. Mix some additional herbs in the yogurt if desired. Serves 6–12.