Northern Michigan Style: Armed with an interior design degree from Michigan State University, Noni Pace headed to Aspen for seven years, where she honed her mountain style—until the Lake Michigan cottage country of her Charlevoix youth called her home. In her Petoskey-based business, Pace Interior Design, Noni has shown that no project is too small—or large. Check out her ski- and lake-country style at the prestigious Garland Lodge and Resort in Lewiston. 231.941.9400.
1. Noni loves mixing antique architectural elements into her designs—such as this late 1880s High Victorian stairway newel post from a home in Grand Rapids. $295. Then & Now Antique and Consignment House, Petoskey. thenandnowpetoskey.com.
2. A believer in the power of flowers to lift the mood, Noni says, “Every space needs a little floral or greenery.” The natural arrangement shown here was created by Monarch Garden & Floral Design in Petoskey. $250. monarchgfd.com.
3. Noni used a fun felt pillow to channel the inner whimsy of this traditional tight-back chair. The chair is from Reid Furniture in Petoskey. $699. reidindeed.com. Pillow from Monarch Garden & Floral Design, Petoskey. $55. monarchgfd.com.
4. The simple lines of this lamp work well with today’s more transitional styles. $399. The lamp is by Sedgefield from Reid Furniture. reidindeed.com.
5. “I love to use original artwork in my designs, and we are so fortunate to have so many talented local artists that capture beautiful views of our area,” Noni says. The work of Harbor Springs artist Kevin Barton is a favorite of hers. Barton’s “The Pumpkin Pile,” depicts an autumn harvest at Bill’s Farm Market in Petoskey. $4,500. Find Barton’s Art Loft above Symons General Store in downtown Petoskey. kevinbartonartist.com.
6. “The resort area, which we are so fortunate to live in, lends itself to comfortable, casual, classic interiors,” Noni says, explaining that Pace Interior Design specializes in classic cottage design—a look for which this painted armoire is perfectly suited. Choose from a variety of stains and painted finishes. $5,200. By Redford House, through Pace Interior Design, Petoskey.