Petoskey native and now New York–based filmmaker Sharon Shattuck will show her short documentary film, Parasites: A User’s Guide, at the University of Michigan Biological Station (UMBS) June 17 and July 1, 2010. Both screenings will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Gates Lecture Hall.
Parasites uses humor, animation, interviews and music to bring viewers closer to life’s free-riders. Shattuck says, “In nature, nothing is purely good or evil.” Her film recasts “some of the most misunderstood creatures on earth” as potential healers.
Shattuck is a graduate of the University of Michigan and an alumna of the Biological Station, where she has taken classes and been a teaching assistant. She completed graduate school at New York University’s documentary film program last December.
The University of Michigan Biological Station has been home to research and education in the biological and environmental sciences for more than 100 years. It welcomes the public to these screenings and other events throughout the summer. A complete list of the station’s Summer Lecture Series is available at www.lsa.umich.edu/umbs/events/lectureseries/.
The University of Michigan Biological Station is 6 miles east of Pellston on C-64 / Robinson Rd.
More Links to Fun in Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Bay Harbor and the Little Traverse Region!
- The Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Directory: Listings to lodging, galleries, restaurants and more along with an interactive map.
- Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor Vacation Guide: Browse gorgeous articles connecting you to perfect beaches, Bayview Festivals, the Tunnel of Trees, ethnic eats and more.and click to hundreds of websites.
- Video: Tour Gorgeous Harbor Springs
- Video: Drive the Tunnel of Trees from Harbor Springs to Good Hart
- Video: A Musical Visit to Bay View
- Video: A Day in Petoskey
- The Complete Restaurant Guide for Petoskey, Harbor Springs and Bay Harbor: Just pop in the location where you’d like to eat and browse the wonderful array of restaurant choices.
- Plot your day in Petoskey/Harbor Springs using this Interactive Map: Choose an activity in "I’d like to find" and choose Petoskey, Harbor Springs or a nearby town for "in a town near." Then click away!
- Check out all the music, festivals, art and events of all kinds happening in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Torch Lake!
- Rent a cottage in Petoskey, Harbor Springs & Bay Harbor: There hundreds of cottages to rent in Northern Michigan. Type the town you’re interested in into the Search box and plan your getaway Up North!